Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things that make you go mmmmmmmmmm......

Some jewelery pieces fill a need: you need a necklace for the dress you've just bought, the latest fashion says put so many bracelets on that you can't lift your arm or perhaps its time to give an old dress a new lease of life with updated accessories.


Other pieces, however, sing to you as soon as you lay eyes on them. I found one of these pieces recently as I checked out the work of a fellow Melbourne jeweller Erica who markets her wares under the branding Incalesco (which incidentally means "glow" in Latin).


Trilogy

I love the strange power in this piece (perhaps that feeling is the one I'm talking about... the singing) and I can't help but feel that there's a hidden meaning in there somewhere!

On a design level, I love the slightly unstructured nature of the silver balanced out with the structure of the stone.


Another piece from Etsy that I discovered and really enjoy the simplicity of and the meaning I add to the design is this pendant titled Stitched Moon by JuJubySarah, a US seller.

Incidentally, JuJu also has a meaning:
Juju, n: A word of West African origin, referring to the supernatural power ascribed to an object, fetish, charm or amulet. Aura or other magical property, usually having to do with spirits or luck, which is bound to a specific object; it is also a term for the object.

Funny, I have a friend who always uses that word ("Ooooh, that's bad Juju") and I thought he was making it up! Blogging... fun AND educational!

And last but not least, is the piece that inspired this post... unfortunately there are no images because it lives on in my memory as the one that got away! It was a crudely made silver piece set with 3 raw, brilliant, pulsating aquamarines and a few cut and polished ones at Living Energies in Southland. Set in a snake/branch like pattern, the pendant was about 10 cms long and sat beautifully right on my chest.... *sigh*

Off to bed with me so I can dream sweet, sweet dreams of the pendant I'll never have (and how I can generate money for the ones I can!!)

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments: